Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Impeach Bush

I've consciously avoided straying into the political on my blog, but enough is enough. The more I think about where our country has been led, the less I can resist the urge to say something. Bill Clinton was impeached for lying about oral sex. No one died, no one's civil liberties suffered, the nation didn't spend billions of dollars. As we all know, it recently came to light that the Bush administration called for domestic spying under the banner of "terrorist surveillance." I'm not sure what legal grounds they really think they can base this on (I know the argument about "war making powers" ... weak!) but it occurs to me that executive action in direct contravention of established US law is exactly why we have the mechanism of impeachment. Mr. Bush took an oath to uphold and defend the laws of this land. He's broken his oath. I don't think you can find an argument which would support his actions. It seems plain that congress is impotent to take any action on this issue. A sad commentary on the whole of our government now, but we elected them and until November we've got what we've got. We do have a recourse to address our grievances and that's in the state legislatures. Click the ribbon in the upper right corner if you're interested in learning more.

This isn't about leftist/rightist, conservative/liberal, democrat/republican. It's about whether or not we are a nation of laws. Reflect on that thought a while ....

-Michael

No comments: