Monday, February 06, 2006

Tough Weekend in India

Wow, did this past weekend suck! It all started late Friday night when I was rudely awoken from my sleep with the sudden urge to worship the porcelin god. After a good couple of hours of praying on the bathroom floor, I crawled back to bed. It was at this point when I realized I was running a fever, and that another worship service might be in order. Given that I was a LONG way from home, I thought it wise to contact someone to let them know my plight. I called up my supervisor to get the ball rolling. When I called him I had one thought on my mind, when was the next flight back to Boston. He had different thoughts ... I'm sure he wanted to get the most value from this flight, and after all he's in his house with his family. He did a great job supporting me however ... people from the hotel and my company were calling to check on me no more than 20 minutes later. I had no interest in a trip to the hospital or a visit from a doctor. If it was a stomach bug, it would pass. The next day (Saturday) I awoke to find the fever was still hanging around, but the nausea had passed. Good thing I brought the Advil. I started eating those and they really kept the fever (and headaches) in check. By Sunday morning I was rid of the fever, but I started having chest pains! Let's see: Nausea, fever/chills, chest pains ... umm, can you say symptoms of a heart attack!!! That's right, now I'm freaking myself out thinking I might have had a heart attack, and I'm 9,000 miles from home. I finally decided the proper course of action was to take a visit to the hospital, which I did today. This is where the story turns: ECG, vitals, everything else - normal. Doctor's assessment: I'm having some anxiety issues from my issues at the beginning of the weekend. I love to hear the good news, but now I feel like a fucking hypochondriac. That's a tough pill for someone like myself to swallow. I don't go to doctors unless I'm really sick. This is twice in 3 months I've thought I'm having some cardiac related issues. I know I need to get in better shape, and I think that thought in my subconscience is shaping my self-assessment when it comes to issues such as these. I'm getting on the wagon and fixing the underlying issue here: I'm going to get in pisser shape. I'm also going to work on my meditation. I should've spent some time this weekend clearing my mind before I let it take control of me. Mostly, I need to get back home and make some turns on my snowboard. I've not had near enough of that thearpy this season, and I think it's really affecting me in other ways.

No comments: