Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Windows Mobile Enterprise Features

Just attended a session on enterprise features found on Windows Mobile 5.0, and I have to say it was excellent. This is perhaps a biased view as I found out Microsoft is shipping an OMA DM agent in 5.0!!! This is fantastic news! ActiveSync 4.0 supports new features including media synchronization function which uses the DRM from Windows Media. The new Office Mobile suite indeed looks sweet (no pun intended.) During lunch I spoke with an employee of a major pharmaceutical company, and to my surprise he indicated that they were rolling out a SFA application for their field organization. This is my first direct indication that enterprises are going to embrace the handheld device as a platform for enterprise applications. Wireless email is cool, but it can't be the application that carries these devices. I'm glad to find out that the market is reaching this level of maturity. Management and security are certain to be near and dear to the organizations that are going to be putting so much critical data on a device that is so easily misplaced.

No comments: